Prep, in advance (couple hours to overnight.. doesn’t matter)
- 1 cup filtered water into the refrigerator (luckily, I added more than needed, so when I messed up the recipe, I could, quickly, start over.)
- Refrigerate or Freeze (I didn’t have room in my fridge.) your mixing bowl and metal beaters. (I used my KitchenAid and metal whisk attachment.)
- Mix 1/4 cup tapioca starch with 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Grease 9×13 pan. Dust with 1/2 the tapioca/sugar mixture.
Into cold mixing bowl, add, but do not mix:
- 4 envelopes Knox Unflavored Gelatin (contains natural glutamate) (I weighed two envelopes: .55 oz)
- 1/2 cup cold filtered water
Into heavy sauce pan:
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 1/2 cups natural cane sugar
- 1 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse sea salt
Bring sugar syrup to soft ball stage (approx 235 °F) stirring, to prevent burning, and remove from heat.
Turn on mixer (the gelatin appears to look like dry foam) and slowly pour in the hot syrup.
When all syrup has been added to the mixing bowl, turn the mixer onto high speed.
Whip for approximately 10 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and beat to mix-in.
Spread into prepared pan.
Sprinkle with the remaining tapioca/powdered sugar mixture. Let set for 24 hour. Cut into squares.
(Needing to use the marshmallows before it had set, they were too soft to cut. The next morning, they cut, easily, and I rolled the cut sides into the powdered mixture that was loose, in the pan.)